MSA Trust

04. Carers – United Kingdom

The Information below is for people living in the UK. If you are a carer and living in the Republic of Ireland, please go to the page here where there is dedicated information for you.

Carer’s Allowance

If you are of working age, caring for someone at least 35 hours per week and have earnings of less than £151 per week (after deductions for income tax, national insurance and expenses), you may be entitled to claim Carer’s Allowance. The person you are caring for must be in receipt of one of the following disability benefits:

  • The daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) at either rate
  • The daily living component of Adult Disability Payment (ADP) at either rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • The care component of Disability Living Allowance at either the middle or higher rate.

The current rate for Carer’s Allowance is £81.90 per week, paid fortnightly. Carer’s Allowance can be backdated for up to three months.

For more information about Carer’s Allowance and how to apply, please visit Carer’s Allowance: How it works – GOV.UK (

State Pension and Carer’s Allowance

You cannot usually claim State Pension and Carer’s Allowance at the same time. If your State Pension is more than £81.90 per week, you won’t be eligible for Carer’s Allowance. If your State Pension is less than £81.90 per week, you can receive Carer’s Allowance to make up the difference.

If your State Pension is over £81.90 per week, it’s still worth applying for Carer’s Allowance as you may qualify for ‘an underlying entitlement to Carer’s Allowance’ which can lead to other benefits and support. Independent Age has produced a helpful factsheet about this – Underlying entitlement to Carer’s Allowance | Independent Age.

In Scotland, Carer’s Allowance is being replaced by the Carer’s Support Payment from spring 2024. You should visit to see whether the Carer’s Support Payment has been rolled out in your area. If not, you will need to claim Carer’s Allowance.

Universal Credit

If you are on a low income you may be able to claim Universal Credit (if you or a partner are under state pension age). Universal Credit can include help towards rent as well as additional money if you are a carer. For more information on Universal Credit please visit Universal Credit: What Universal Credit is – GOV.UK (

It is possible to claim Universal Credit even if you or a partner are working. It can be difficult to work out whether you’re entitled to Universal Credit and if so, how much you might receive. Our Social Welfare Specialists can help work this out for you.

Please seek independent advice before choosing to switch from your current benefits to Universal Credit. Even an unsuccessful application for Universal Credit will result in the immediate loss of the benefits Universal Credit replaces and it will not be possible to reclaim these.

Click here to return the Financial Support and Welfare Benefits page.