MSA Trust

Carer’s organisations

This page offers signposting to other avenues of support available that might help to alleviate some of your fears and anxieties.

Carers support

Carers UK

Carers UK is the national voice for carers. With over 50 years of experience and a successful record of achievement they have the authority and knowledge to continue to press for change.

Tel: 0808 808 7777 | Email: | Website:

Carers Northern Ireland

Carers Northern Ireland, 58 Howard Street, Belfast, BT1 6PJ

Tel: 0808 808 7777 | Email: | Website:

Carers Wales

Carers Wales, River House, Ynys Bridge Court, Gwaelod y Garth, Cardiff, CF15 9SS

Tel: 0808 808 7777 | Email: | Website:

Carers Scotland

Carers Scotland, 91 Mitchell Street, Glasgow, G1 3LN

Tel: 0808 808 7777 | Website:

Carers Trust

Carers Trust was formed by the merger of The Princess Royal Trust for Carers and Crossroads Care in April 2012.

Carers Trust works to improve support, services and recognition for anyone living with the challenges of caring, unpaid, for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or addiction problems.

To find out more visit: Carers Trust

Working Families

Working Families is the UK’s leading work-life balance organisation. The charity helps working parents and carers and their employers find a better balance between responsibilities at home and work.

To find out more visit: Working Families

Caring Schemes and initiatives

Emergency Carer Schemes

Emergency Carer Schemes provide carers with the reassurance that, should they be involved in an accident or emergency whilst out alone, the person they care for will receive co-ordinated assistance.

The sort of help available might include:

  • Emergency social work duty team
  • Emergency respite and sitting services
  • Community alarms/panic buttons

To join a local scheme you need to register the details of the person you care for and provide information about who should be contacted in the case of an emergency. This information will be held by the local authority and will only be used in an emergency situation.

You should then be given a credit-sized card to keep with you which will include a telephone number to ring in an emergency. The card will also have a unique reference number, for people to quote when contacting the scheme operators.

There are many similar schemes operating throughout the UK, so contact your social services department via your local council or local carers’ group to find out about the schemes in your area.