MSA Trust

02. State Pension Age

Attendance Allowance

If you have MSA and are over state pension age you may be entitled to Attendance Allowance. This is because you may be finding it more difficult, or need help, to manage your personal care needs.

Attendance Allowance can be worth up to £434.20 every four weeks. For more on how to apply please visit Attendance Allowance: How to claim – GOV.UK (

Please see our MSA Trust Attendance Allowance Factsheet or speak to our Social Welfare Specialists for help before starting your application.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit may provide extra money to help with your living costs if you are over State Pension age and on a low income. Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as ground rent or service charges.

Receiving Pension Credit can lead to other financial support such as:

You can check your eligibility by using the Pension Credit calculator.

Universal Credit

If you have a partner who is of working age, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit.

Universal Credit can include help towards rent as well as additional money if you are a carer. For more information on Universal Credit please visit Universal Credit: What Universal Credit is – GOV.UK (

It is possible to claim Universal Credit even if you or a partner are working. It can be difficult to work out whether you’re entitled to Universal Credit and if so, how much you might receive. Our Social Welfare Specialists can help work this out for you.

Please seek independent advice before choosing to switch from your current benefits to Universal Credit. Even an unsuccessful application for Universal Credit will result in the immediate loss of the benefits Universal Credit replaces and it will not be possible to reclaim these.

Council Tax Disabled Band Reduction

If you are eligible for the Council Tax Disabled Band Reduction, your local authority will move your Council Tax banding down by one band – making it cheaper every year. To be eligible for the reduction one of the following must apply:

  • Your home has a room other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet which is used mainly for your needs
  • Your home has an additional bathroom or kitchen which has been adapted to meet your needs
  • You have extra space inside your home for the use of a wheelchair.

For more information please visit How Council Tax works: Discounts for disabled people – GOV.UK ( or check your local authority’s website for details on how to apply.

Disabled Facilities Grants

Following an Occupational Therapy assessment, any equipment or minor adaptations (costing less than £1,000) may be provided by your local council free of charge. If the Occupational Therapist identifies any major adaptations, such as having a bathroom adapted to a fully accessible wet room, your local authority should assess whether you’re eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to cover all or part of the cost. The application process for a DFG usually requires a financial assessment and the local council may want to know your household income.

DFGs in England can be for up to £30,000; in Wales the upper limit is £36,000; and in Northern Ireland it is £25,000. For more information visit Disabled Facilities Grants: Overview – GOV.UK (

The process is different in Scotland, where mandatory grants of 80-100% may be awarded. Please visit Equipment and adaptations – Independent living – ( for more information.

VAT Relief

If you need to pay for specialist goods and services such as adapting your home or vehicle, you may be entitled to VAT relief. The following link provides more information on VAT relief and includes a list of goods and services that can be classed as zero rated (no VAT to pay): Reliefs from VAT for disabled and older people (VAT Notice 701/7) – GOV.UK (


Click here to return the Financial Support and Welfare Benefits page.