Voice Banking – Acapela
We are delighted to announce our partnership with Acapela, a company who offer Voice Banking services.
For some people living with MSA speech becomes softer or quieter and appears slurred. This is due to poor muscle control of the mouth and tongue or vocal cords. Unfortunately, speech can deteriorate further and become unintelligible.
The Trust has formed a partnership with a company called Acapela who provide voice banking and we are funding this service – ‘My Own Voice’ – for our members. Voice banking helps to preserve your identity and will allow you to express yourself verbally if your actual voice deteriorates further. If you are not already registered with the MSA Trust, you will need to register here before using the service.
My Own Voice allows someone to record a short list of phrases (approximately 50) with their own voice while their speech is still reasonably good. A laptop or PC will be needed to do this as the service is accessed online. The recording is then converted digitally to create a personal voice. The voice will be similar to your own, but not a true copy. You will then be able to download your voice and use it to communicate with friends and family via a laptop, tablet, or similar digital device.
Your Speech and Language Therapist can assist you with the voice banking process and work with you to record your voice. Please discuss this service with your Speech and Language Therapist who will confirm if this is suitable for you.
You can find out more about the process by visiting https://mov.acapela-group.com. If you do not have a Speech and Language Therapist, please speak to your MSA Nurse Specialist. We have provided a simplified version of the process below:
- Discuss with your Speech and Language Therapist (SALT) the possibility of recording your voice using Acapela ‘My Own Voice’.
- If you do not have a SALT or are awaiting referral, please contact your MSA Trust Nurse Specialist to discuss further or contact email@example.com.
- Register with Acapela at www.mov.acapela-group.com/ stating reasons for recording are ‘medical’ and clicking on ‘MSA Trust’ to fund. Include your SALT name and e-mail contact. Provided you are registered with us, the Trust will authorise your application.
- Once you receive your log on details and password from Acapela you can record your personal messages and the 50 phrases needed for voice banking. You will require a PC or laptop to do this and ideally should be done with the assistance of your SALT. You will also require a headset that has a microphone and USB connection. The MSA Trust can lend you a headset to enable you to record your voice. Contact us for more information about this. Please note, that you must source your own PC or laptop to use.
- Once recorded, you will be able to listen to your voice and if you are happy with it, request for it to be downloaded. You will be able to download onto your PC, laptop, tablet or phone.
- Acapela will send you a link and instructions on how to download, and are available for any queries regarding the technicalities of recording and downloading.