MSA Trust

Home
Forum

Not sure if I am now newly diagnosed ?

Welcome to the Forum. If you are new to here then you just need to click 'Register' below. If you have any problems resetting your password or creating an account then please email support@msatrust.org.uk and we can help you with the process. Thank you.

Home Forums Newly diagnosed Not sure if I am now newly diagnosed ?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Diane Ball 4 months ago. This post has been viewed 147 times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    PeterBT
    Participant

Hi,

My name is Peter and I got official confirmation that I had MSA last Sept 2018. Was fairly clear cut really. I ticked all the boxes and Parkinson’s was not really ever suggested. I am still mobile although walking is hard work. I can peddle about although the low blood pressure coat-hanger pain makes bike riding hard work!I get tingly feet upon weight bearing and this goes away at night to be swapped for stiff ankles in the morning until i weight bear. Please is this normal MSA ?

regards

Peter

Gwendoline
    Participant

The answer to this question is always ‘there is no normal for MSA’. I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in December 2016 then with MSA in December 2017. I had to stop cycling in summer 2017as my balance was so badly affected that l kept falling off. My pain is in my back and is due to my worsening posture, I can still walk but need to use a zimmer or stroller. I have great difficulty getting out of bed,and chairs and in and out of cars. In the last two months my condition has altered quite significantly. I no longer go out alone,have stopped driving, and need help dressing. I fall often but, I’m lucky in that so far I have ‘bounced’ (no bones broken).

PeterBT
    Participant

Hi Gwendoline,

thanks for the response and sorry to here about your lack of riding. I really enjoy my riding obsession and am struggling to come to terms with the future and probable lack of peddling. I fell off in December and broke my collar bone. only low speed and my fault, crossing a kerb from road to pavement. Not sure why but probably due to lack of awareness caused by my msa! so i didn’t bounce and with conservative treatment it might be six months until i am healed. my clavicle is in two bits!!

Peter

Diane Ball
    Participant

Hi Peter.
    A man who comes to our support group got a recumbent cycle to use when his balance was beginning to fail. He could get out and about and enjoy outings with his wife and still be independently mobile. Is that worth considering? As with all things MSA if you can plan ahead it is best, and do all you can whilst you can as you have no idea when things will change.
    Diane

Diane Ball
    Participant

PS Gwendoline is right – there is no normal for MSA!!! It is a ‘pick and mix’ disease and no 2 people present the same. My husband has no pain at all despite being quite disabled now. Diane

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
Simple Share Buttons
Your Cart